Custom 2.X is our all new 20 watt offering, now with many customizable options. Based on the platform of our most-popular product ever, the 22H, C2X is built with all of our usual quality standards but at much smaller quantities. Each Custom 2.X is hand-assembled, here in the USA, one at a time. This of course will create a lead-time as product won't be built into inventory, at least until such time most popular configurations are determined. Current lead time expectation is less than one week between order and shipment. Pre-orders in January are expected to start build MARCH 1, 2021.
USA only, for now.
Printed circuit board (PCB). This was already well renowned for thickness, durability and our large traces made for easy repair and mods. We have taken that a step further by working with our friends at Epic Amplification on the 2.X board. They've updated and re-routed the circuit board and elevated the DC heaters for quieter operation. Now with through-hole plating too. Standard boards are wave-soldered off-shore. Hand-soldered boards are stuffed and soldered here, hence the up-charge.
Capacitor upgrade is is a low-cost way to get even greater performance from your amp. As always we use high-quality over-spec'd parts throughout. Manufacturer of upgraded caps can vary according to stock and availability and we will always choose high quality parts.
Transformers have been upgraded too. Our original transformer set was already impressive - offering a lot more iron than our competitors. Now named Lightening and Thunder, we've changed vendors and are building even bigger, more robust transformers in smaller handcrafted runs. Further, you can choose our new premium OT, The Heyboer US Thunder, designed and built in the US.
Cabinet is made from void-free plywood. Because we are now building in smaller quantities we can offer optional color choices. More colors coming soon, unless everyone just orders in black! It is also available naked for you bold do-it-yourself types.
Baffle this is the small part of the cabinet above the control panel where the logo is mounted. This is a cool option because you can create your own look by mismatching the covering of the baffle from the main cabinet. Also, you can send a message with your order and tell us to mount the logo in a different position from the standard center. Fits all of our legacy 20 watt cabinets too.
Control Panel Acrylic choose from black or white, with more limited-edition options coming down the road.
- Crunch/Overdrive - Crunch is the standard voicing - same as 22H and also the single channel of 20H and the Atomic 16. Overdrive is the lead channel which made us - and the SLO100 - one of the most sought-after tones in modern amplifiers.
- Epic Gain provides thicker, higher gain tones on second half of gain control.
- CLEANER has much less gain and is also suitable as a pedal platform.
- VINTAGE is similar but not identical to our 20HV - a little less gain and also a little darker. Think British.
Output Upgrade Configurations
- The Stock output board contains the speaker outputs; 2x 8 ohms and 1x 16ohms.
- FAT is much like adding a fixed depth sound in the circuit but it isn't adjustable. Can NOT be used in conjunction with the variable Depth control. This resides on the main PCB. +$9
- Add a Depth control for $20 - this isn't compatible with the FAT mod. Depth accentuates the low end frequencies much like the presence control does for the high end frequencies. This control is mounted on the rear panel due to limited front panel space.
- Epic Amplification SS effects loop. Pedal-friendly and sounds great. $39.
- Epic Effects loop with Depth control. +$49.
Tube upgrades are available for those who have a preference of brand, as tubes can make a distinct difference in your amp's tone and performance. If you have something specific in mind let us know and we can quote you - likely somewhat higher than the in-stock options which we buy in quantity discount.